Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Blog #8

To start off, I cannot believe that we only have a week left here in Sardinia. It seems like we have so many more activities that we can do and places to see. Time flies when you're having fun, and this trip has definitely been fun so far.

On Monday, we took another sailing trip on a boat named Matilda to two beaches in Villasimus. This sailboat was much bigger than the last one we were on, and it looked older too because more of it was made with wood. We tried sailing to the beach at first, but there was not enough wind so we used the motor. The first beach is called Isola dei Cavoli, which translates to Cabbage Island (not sure why it's called Cabbage Island though). It had a lighthouse on it, and we got to jump off the boat and swim to the island if we wanted to. While we were in the water we saw a thunderstorm approaching and we saw some lightning, but it was very far away. For lunch we got back on the boat and had some pasta that was cooked on the boat, which tasted amazing! We also had some cheese, bread, sausage, and wine, and one of the sailors showed us that seagulls really like cheese because if you hold a piece of cheese, the seagulls will fly over and take it from your hand. I tried with a piece of bread, but apparently seagulls don't like bread as much. We then travelled to the second beach (by motor), and I spent some time climbing on the rocks before jumping in and swimming. We could still see the thunderstorm and the lightning occasionally, and everyones hair was sticking up from the static. However, the storm never got close enough to us to be dangerous. 

That night for dinner, Lindesy found a vegetarian soup restaurant that she, Divya, Lauren, and I tried out. The food was really really good (we got a few courses and tried two soups) but it was also really fun because our waitress was excited that we were native English speakers. She told us that she has a bachelors degree in English and that she also speaks french, so she wanted to talk to us to practice her English (which was already very good). She was super sweet, and she told us that she is from one of the islands on Sardinia but she is now working in Cagliari and going to the University of Cagliari to get a degree in communication. When she was in high school, she said that she didn't like English very much because she thought it was boring, but then her senior year of high school she started watching American tv shows. She said that she loved them so much so she decided that she wanted to major in English. She said that her dream job would be to get a job in the US and become a producer. I was really surprised how much influence US entertainment has had in her life, until I remembered that most of the songs and music videos that I've listened to and seen while being here in Sardinia have been from the US. I realized that other than one movie that I remember watching with my mom, and a couple songs that I've listened to, most of the movies, tv shows, and songs that I listen to are from the US (with the exception of a few tv shows and songs that are from the UK). I hope that the American entertainment culture won't completely take over in other countries, because even though I like a lot of the movies and songs and tv shows that are made in the US, there are a lot of things about the entertainment industry in the US that I think are dumb. 

Anyways, I could go on about that, or I could write about another beach that we went to today! As usual, it was beautiful and we got to do some snorkeling. It was very windy, and one of the beach balls kept being thrown too far and floating to the other side of the cove, which I walked and swam to to rescue it (twice). Even though it was a beautiful beach and a glorious day, I think that my skin has had enough contact with salt water for the time being because I felt like I was coated with salt today and somewhat dehydrated. I also got a little sun burnt on my back, which just proves that it's almost impossible for me to spend a whole day at the beach without getting sun burnt (even though I reapplied my 50 spf sunscreen twice, waited 10 minutes for it to soak in before getting in the water, and sat under an umbrella when I wasn't in the water). I have loved every beach that we have gone to, but I think that I need to take a break from going to beaches for a little while :-).

I'm very excited for tonight, since we are going back to the vegetarian soup restaurant for their international night. They have it every week, and this week is french themed. There is a set menu that gives us 5 or 6 different courses that are all french and vegetarian, and we get a free glass of wine if we dress like we are from France (which we are going to try to do). I'm helping Divya by giving her a french braid, which will hopefully count as looking french! I've never been to France so I don't actually know if people in France braid their hair a lot. Alesia, our waitress form Monday, will be there too so we will be able to talk to her more! 


No comments:

Post a Comment